So I think I’ve made it clear on this blog that sometime in the future, Will and I would like to have kids (no more than two – please, I’m not a machine). I’ve also made it clear that I am currently extremely unprepared for this event.
If things go according to plan (which they probably won’t – I have a feeling that I’m jinxing myself by writing this blog and I will either get an early “surprise” or end up dealing with fertility issues, but hey, that’s just more blog material, right?), I have about two years to prepare myself for mommydom (or mommydoom, depending on how you look at it).
In the grand scheme of things, two years is NOT a long time. There are a ton of things I want to do and accomplish before I start having to deal with morning sickness, a rapidly expanding mid-section, and ultimately a small, helpless person who takes up residence in my house and won’t leave.
The clock is ticking, and my subsequent neuroticism is increasing by the minute. So, to focus myself, I’ve come up with this: The Baby Bucket List.
This is a list of things I want to do before I am with child. Hopefully I’ll be able to cross all of these things off in the next two years, and that would be great because 1) I love crossing things off of lists (yes, I’m one of those people); and 2) I will be more fulfilled and happy as a person in general.
CARLIE’S BABY BUCKET LIST
1. Go on a vacation to Europe. Right now, I’m thinking Italy…
2. Do more freelance writing – enough so that I could possibly make a living from it.
3. Buy a house/condo. This one in Chicago looks perfect. Who wants to chip in?
4. Get six-pack abs. Well, I’ll settle on a four-pack. Or maybe just flat with no “pooch.” I’m not interested in taking steroids or getting all crazy-Madonna-like muscle-y.
5. Find dopplegangers of all of my good friends. Ok, this one isn’t for real – just a shout-out to those of you who watch How I Met Your Mother. What is UP!?
6. Learn to cook. Or at least figure out some really good, healthy ways to use my microwave.
7. Watch the entire series of LOST on Netflix. See previous post.
8. Visit every rooftop bar in both St. Louis and Chicago. I love being outside. I love great views. I love drinking. I love not having a baby/child with me while I do it.
9. Go on a vacation to an all-inclusive resort. We’ve done this before and it was so great, I need to do it again before Disneyland is included in our list of possible vacation destinations.
10. Host a dinner party. This one is for Will. For some reason, he really wants to do this. I said as long as he cooks and makes his homemade sangria, I can get all Martha Stewart-y for a night.
11. Host a real party. Will and I have been married for almost 3 years now and have never had a big party with lots of people that gets somewhat out-of-hand. The window on this one is rapidly closing now that our friends are getting pregnant, so maybe I’ll get to cross this off the list soon.
12. Read at least 15 books. That’s 7.5 per year. As long as our DVR stays broken, I’ll be off to a good start. (Did I tell you our DVR is broken?? We are in full crisis mode.)
13. Go on a loooong road trip. Not one of those 5-hour dealies, like the St. Louis to Chicago trip we do every other weekend.
14. Drink a bottle of really expensive champagne. Like over $100. Maybe I’ll share some with Will.
15. Run a 10k. I know this doesn’t seem like much to all of you marathoners out there, but I hate running. I’ve run a million 5ks without training for them, and I could probably do a 10k, but actually making myself sign up for one is a different story. I just want to do it once and then never again.
16. Start doing yoga. I’m a little intimidated by all those stretchy people in their cute stretchy pants, but maybe I’ll become one…or at least improve upon my plywood-like flexibility.
Ok, that’s it for now, but this list is a work in progress. I’ll probably be adding to it as I think of more things I want to do.
So what do you think? Can you help me accomplish any of this? Anything missing that you think I should add? Why is having a new to-do list that probably won’t go away for a couple of years (if ever) totally stressing me out right now? I need help.