I just had a realization: I watch too much TV.
“You’re just now realizing that??” (This is what I guarantee Will said in his head (or maybe even outloud!) after reading that first sentence.)
Let me just stop you right there, Will (and everyone else).
I’m not saying I watch too much TV in general. It’s a harmless, entertaining way to relax at the end of the day, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. What I’m saying is that I watch too much TV for my life situation right now.
Case in point*:
*(I just had to look up what “case in point” means to make sure I was using it correctly, and I was! Also, it’s an idiom if you didn’t know that. Not to be confused with an idiot, which is what I feel like right now since I’m an editor and an English major and I’m still Googling commonly used phrases.)
Here is a list of responsibilities I have in my life right now:
1. Work (which takes up at least 8 hours every weekday.)
2. Freelance publishing projects (just started this but I think it’s going to turn into a bit of a time commitment.)
3. Food & Drink contributor for Girls Guide to the Galaxy (re-launching in February!)
4. Working out (I found some classes nearby that I want to take and I can’t wait to start! Next week…)
5. This blog (I love you, but you are seriously a time suck.)
6. Unpacking my apartment (YES, this is still happening.)
7. Having some semblance of a social life (This is very important for my survival.)
8. Daily health-related and hygienic tasks such as bathing, brushing my teeth, and sleeping
Here is a list of all of the TV shows I’m currently watching:
1. Desperate Housewives
3. How I Met Your Mother
4. The Bachelor
5. The Real Housewives of Atlanta
6. The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
7. The Jersey Shore
9. Gossip Girl
10. Breaking Bad
11. The Office
13. Parks and Recreation
14. 30 Rock
15. Millionaire Matchmaker
16. Keeping Up with the Kardashians
I think there’s more, but I just listed 14 hours per week that I am sitting (more like slouching/laying) in front of the television, and I think you get my point. I don’t have time for this. (Don’t worry, Glee, I’m not talking to you! Or you, Gossip Girl! Or you, 30 Rock!)
So it’s time to make some cuts. The question is, what are they? It’s my own personal Sophie’s Choice, I’m telling you.
Well… some cuts aren’t that hard to make. I am talking to you, Kardashians and Millionaire Matchmaker. It’s not that I have something against dark-haired women with oversized rear ends. It’s just that I think it will be good for me to spend less time watching rich people drink champagne, buy Chanel bags and use helicopters as their primary mode of transportation.
After that, the cuts get a bit harder. My gut is telling me to cut the Real Housewives because those shows are somewhat trashy and mind-numbing, but I’m not sure I can bring myself to do it. The bottom line: they bring me joy. Yes, I just said that.
Please weigh in, if you feel so inclined. What other shows do I watch that are a ridiculous waste of time and make you ashamed to be associated with me? (Don’t say all of them!)